Thursday, January 20, 2011

When Sickness Strikes

Just imagine for a moment.  You had 8 full weeks off with your little one--a brand new member of your family.  To try and keep that precious one well, you enlist the help of your parents two days a week for the last 6 weeks of your part-time 'maternity leave.'  The baby has reflux, and frequently projectile spits his formula across the room; but he is healthy otherwise. 

For two months after starting back to work full-time, sweet "Lucky" stayed well.  Then, as he became more mobile and able to utilize the daycare center's toys--we endured what can only be characterized as a week from Hades.

The day before the roseola rash appeared...poor baby!
Not only did "Lucky" get sick with double-ear infections and an upper respiratory virus, but my husband and I got the same virus.  You, the caring and loving mother, are knocked out by a hacking cough, persistent stuffy nose, and an ear infection, too. 

Now that we've put this in perspective, two weeks after "Lucky" recovers from his first full-fledged illness, he gets roseola.  Two weeks later, another ear infection and two teeth make him miserable.  A few weeks later, he has a stomach virus that lasts 4 full days including a high fever.

You get the picture.  Now, we all know that taking time off work the first year is rather difficult for new moms.  At my company, we can accrue sick and vacation time past one year.  I was able to use accrued sick and vacation days to "pay for" my maternity leave.  That did not leave me many sick days to care for myself or family when plagued with  illness. 

Then, there is the guilt factor.  How many of you feel guilty when you have to call your boss more than one day in a month to let her know you are home with a sick child?  It's part of the package.  It's all part of being a woman; wanting to be a dedicated employee while struggling to be a loving mom.  It's a no-win situation; you will feel guilt either way.  There are many days I have worked with a migraine - just because I knew that I might need to use my one last sick day for "Lucky".  That's what happened last month - I used my very last sick day when the daycare called at 3:30 PM - the week before Christmas - to say that he had a 102.7 fever and that I needed to come and pick him up.  We were home sick the next three days.  Thankfully, I had just finished a big project and didn't have a heavy work load.  I work in an office that is pretty understanding.  I was able to do some work from home while using vacation and personal days.

Sick at Christmas-time--the worst time to be sick.
So what choice do you have when there is work to be done and you have a sick baby?  I am thankful and so blessed that my parents have been extremely helpful.  They have stepped in to watch "Lucky" when he is sick on multiple occasions.  They live clear across town, but it is worth the 1.5 hour round-trip to be able to show up at work and save a sick day.  I know how fortunate we are to have families in town. 

But, what do you do if you do not have family in the town you live/work?  What do you do if you are a single mom?  Daycare will not keep your child if they 1) have a fever > 101.5; 2) vomit or have diarrhea;  3) have a rash or 4) have a persistent cough. 

So, how do you cope with having a child in daycare where he or she frequently gets sick? 

No comments:

Post a Comment