Monday, January 17, 2011

Childcare Options

Finding the right childcare option is not an easy task.  One thing that I found particularly daunting was the fact that most daycare centers in our region had a waiting list several hundred people long.  I started researching childcare centers when I was just a few weeks pregnant.  I built a spreadsheet with information on each of the centers we were interested in and spent several days calling the directors of each center.  I looked at the following criteria:
  1. Location - were they closer to work or home?
  2. Start date of the new school year - this would make a difference in the timing of starting a particular program for some centers that did not accept students throughout the year.
  3. Student-teacher ratio - this was very important to me.  You want that ratio to be small for your precious itty-bitty bundle!
  4. Hours of operation - Believe it or not, this can make a big difference!
  5. Accreditation - If a center is NAEYC accredited, you can be assured that your daycare is taking the appropriate measures to ensure your child has the optimum childcare experience.
  6. Website link - for future quick reference
  7. Cost - most importantly, what will each childcare center cost you on a monthly basis?
I made appointments at several of the centers and toured each facility.  I met with the teachers in the youngest classroom to learn more about the typical day.  One thing that I think is so important is to look at staff turnover.  In one center, there were 2 teachers who had taught in the same facility for 27 years with the same aged children.  You know these women had to love their jobs--to be with the babies for 27 years!  All I can say is, "Wow!" 

We ended up choosing a daycare based on the location, facility, and staff interactions.  Additionally, they had an opening the week I was coming off of maternity leave. There were two main negatives to this choice - it was more pricey than we were looking for AND they did not open their doors until 7AM.  I get to work by 7:30, so this quickly became a problem.  Thankfully, my supportive spouse stepped up to the plate and helped me out.
15 weeks old--first day of school!


"Lucky" was 15 weeks to the day when he started going to a daycare that was fairly close to our home (4 miles away); however it was four miles "out of the way."  It was an NAEYC accredited program and was a beautiful facility. The classrooms were nice and roomy, and the staff were extremely friendly.  However, when he turned 6 months old, he got sick. I will post more about "When Illness Strikes," but just know that he was sick every other week (and sometimes every week) until he was 10.5 months old.  We quickly learned that the daycare nearest home was not the best option.  Several times I would have to leave work to take "Lucky" to the doctor.  It would take me about 30 mintues to get to his school, check him out, get him snug in the car, and then another 20 minutes to get to his pediatrician.  By the time the appointment ended and we were back on the road, I would have been gone from the office for almost two hours.  At that point (unless it happened to be a morning appointment) it didn't even make sense to go back to the office. 

After several months, and to our surprise, another opening became available at a center 2 blocks from my office.  I was on the waiting list for 15 months before I got the call from them. The "new" center opened at 6:30 AM each day and was almost $1000/year cheaper.  Just as the first daycare, there was very little staff turnover.  Because of the proximity to a university, the ratio for our current daycare is more like 1 teacher for every 2 students.  There are student teachers that hold regular positions in the center and work daily as part of their curriculum.  The new center feels like a family, and I know that "Lucky" is in the best care 5 days each week.

First week at the new center
In the end, you need to find the option that works best for your family.  Choosing a childcare center is an arduous process.  In the end, go with your gut feelings.  If you have any uneasy feelings about anything at all, you should feel comfortable calling or meeting with the daycare director.  Trust your instincts, and rest assured that your child is in the best care for the 8 or so hours that you are at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment